Powered By Blogger

Jessie's Heart

Magic Really Does Exist

Saturday, February 19, 2011

The invisible fence

When Jessie was still too small to defend herself we put a large kennel outside so she could play while we were at work. When she got big enough to defend herself I decided to put in the invisible fence. As most people know the fence gives a warning sound to a hearing dog that lets them know they are near the electric charge. Jessie didn't have that advantage so I had to do a lot more training with her. Unfortunately the inevitable happened one day when she tried to follow me to the car. I didn't realize that the width of the charge area was so wide so once Jessie got zapped she kept throwing herself in and out of the area. I ran to her, grabbed her up and rocked her on the porch like a baby till she stopped crying. This experience was NOT forgotten by Jessie. Every day I would let her out and every day she would climb up the garage wall and spend her day perched on top of the garage looking like a white gargoyle. I can't tell you how many people asked me if I knew there was a dog on top of the roof. I'd just say "yep" and then they'd ask how she got down and I told them, "the same way she got up there....she climbs. As I began to have to work more hours Jessie developed an "interesting" habit. She began to swallow underwear, not chew them up, but actually swallow them whole. To gain more variety Jessie began to swallow socks, washclothes and once I found her downing a pair of boxer shorts. My vet bills that year were putting me in the poor house and Jessie was really increasing her swallowing clothes addiction. In desperation I found another white boxer pup and brought him into our home. His name was Mister Lucky. This accomplished my goal but Mister Lucky was so destructive it took it's toll on me. Since this blog isn't about Mister Lucky the only thing I can tell you is that his name was appropriate because if anyone else had owned him they'd have killed him for some of the stuff he did. As my marriage began to fall apart Jessie was the only living thing in my house that was glad to see me when I got home from work.

No comments: